Thursday, March 13, 2008

Ordinary Life


Last night I finished reading the book, "Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life". This is a really clever and entertaining book; I really enjoyed it a lot. The author, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, writes random little excerpts on different words or phrases from A-Z based on her life experiences. The first entry is "Amy", oddly enough. The last entry is "You": this was intentional on her part.

One of my favourite entries is the one for the word "Sexy". For this entry, in her own version of the encyclopedia, Amy writes, "Sexy: Jason looks especially sexy when he takes off his suit jacket, rolls up the sleeves of his dress shirt, loosens his tie, and plays Pig with the kids". I asked Davey what he thinks is sexy after reading that passage and he said, "Casual. Not a lot of effort put into it". Ohhh-kay. Then he said, "Like you...when you are in your pink pajama bottoms in the morning and your hair is all messed up". Ahhhhh. So sweet.

For me, I think he is looking pretty sexy when he comes home from working all day in the summer and I can see the salt stains on his shirt from working out in the heat, and his hands are covered in dirt, and he has his secateurs hanging in their leather pouch on his belt. He smells like freshy cut grass and sweat. Somehow, it is very cute. Or, when we are off on a walk and he's got one girl on his shoulders and he is holding the other girl's hand...and I can just step back for a moment and watch him, with them, and appreciate how much they love him and how he adores them...and I just feel so lucky for it all. I think he looks the most adorable in those little moments.
It's funny how we both like the opposite of what sexy is supposed to be and, instead, appreciate the casual even messy version of the people we really love. It's not the suits, or the dresses...fancy shoes or hair-dos...heck, you don't even have to be clean! You just have to be the one we love, sharing life's day-to-day routines - totally comfortable, totally relaxed, totally "sexy".












1 comment:

Shan said...

This is such a nice post. Love it.

As for me, funny is sexy. I don't care much about the other stuff, the packaging if you will. Almost twenty years later and we're still laughing, what more could I ask for?