Here is a quick, very easy, and child-friendly tofu recipe for you. The adults may even like it, but I'd suggest adding some (a lot) more spices to the coating mix or maybe making up some really yummy grown-up style dip to go with it.
Baked Tofu Nuggets*
16-oz tub extra firm tofu (I found that one of the more common to find plastic packages of it is more than enough)
1 tbsp light olive oil
2 tbsp cornmeal
2 tbsp whole-wheat flour
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 425F (that "setting" is way too hot in my oven...I used 375F). Lightly oil a nonstick baking sheet
- Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch-thick slices crosswise to get 6 slabs. Blot well between clean tea towels or several layers of paper towels. Cut each slab crosswise into 4 sections to get 1/2-by 2-inch nuggets.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently toss the tofu with the oil until evenly coated.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large plastic freezer bag or produce bag and shake to combine. Add the tofu and shake gently until evenly coated (I found this didn't work very well at all for me and I had to press the coating onto each side of each nugget).
- Arrange in a single layer in the prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes, then turn carefully and bake another 10 minutes, or until golden and firm. Serve with sauce (lots of yummy plum sauce for the kiddies would be good. The nuggets definitely need the sauce).
Maddie and Jamie both gave it the thumbs up as they started to eat, but they tired of the bland taste fairly quickly. We only had ketchup for dipping sauce (Dave put a relish-thingy on his...pictured above) and I think if we had something better to dip them in, they would have liked them much more. Dave wasn't a huge fan. He said, "They're ok". But, this isn't exactly food you'd feed to company. I ate the most of everyone. They were very bland, I must admit, but not at all offensive so...it's all in the dip for this one.
For more Meatless Meal ideas you can check out the home of Tofu Tuesdays by clicking on the cute little block of tofu below!
Brought to you by...
Kaci@Ellyphant & Kelli@Gohn Crazy
*Recipe from the Nava Atlas book, The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.