Friday, May 8, 2009

Constructive Feedback Friday: Colie on Mom's Lap.



How cool is this? I was all set to play "Fix-it-Friday" over at I Faces but, instead, they are hosting a constructive feedback day. I have to hurry, though, because only the first 50 participants get the help they so desperately need (or is it just me?).


I took this photo of Colie on my lap a couple of weeks ago. I was just holding the camera above my head and shooting blindly, and madly, away. I got a whole whack of photos - most of which were of nothing more than my horribly ugly carpet. But, this one strikes me as really kinda cute. I love the expression on her face - so Colie. I don't care for the blown-out highlights on my skirt, though (you can see my edit on the photo in my header above). But that face..she is such a cutie!

So, if I can manage to stop blabbering on here long enough to get my post in on time I'd LOVE to see what the experts may do with it.

Thanks so much. This should be terribly fun.

BTW--here is the Exif Date (I can't seem to figure out how to copy and paste this stuff, so I'll just type it in):

Camera: Digital Rebel EOS XTi

Shutter Speed: 1/50 second

Aperture: f /2.00

ISO: 200

Focal Length: 50 mm

Metering Mode: Partial

Flash: Did not fire

{And, I use PSE 5.o}


10 comments:

Skeller said...

I like your crop and your image - it's cute and quirky.

The thing that's distracting me a bit in this image is the fuzzy focus. So a couple tips for when you're "shooting blind": use a smaller aperture (bigger number, like f/4 on your 50mm lens) or put the camera in full auto mode. You might want to check your chosen metering mode (I prefer "evaluative", especially when shooting blind). When inside, boost your iso to at least 400 to get a fast enough shutter speed to get clear focus.

ok, 'bout your edit ... darling crop, looks a little dark to me and there's a red cast that you picked up when you boosted the saturation or contrast. I might try a b/w conversion.

and kudos to you for experimenting and shooting blind and getting some cute, creative images in the process!

Mr. Tharpey said...

what a fantastic photo! i love the feeling that i get when i look at it.

i would suggest a slightly tighter crop than the original, but perhaps not as tight as your edit. i think it adds such much meaning to be able to see your lap.

i love the focus points and natural crop of the shot though!

as far as the edit, i would say it needs some curves/contrast adjustments and some burning and dodging to add some depth. i made a version for you to check out. This one, i added a bit of cyan and magentas to get a nice timeless film look.

hope you enjoy!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a211/thArpey/colieandmom_md9.jpg

-Aaron

Anonymous said...

What a doll. Don't let my wife see this pic, she'll get some crazy ideas :).

Ok, onto the serious stuff. Overall this is a great image for just blind shooting. I tend to take a million blind shots before I have one that ever turns out half way decent.

I would adjust some of your cureves, brightness and contrast. I also like to use the unsharp mask, under filters for sharpening. This picture just needs a touch of that.

Now about your skirt. I'm not sure if PSE lets you do layer masks or not, but you could do a layer mask to have that skirt darken up and not be blown out. Here is a tutorial on how layer masks work: http://photoshoptips.net/2006/07/25/layer-masks/

Some dodging and burning on the eyes would be nice, then other then that I like to use a light edge detail action. MCP actions have some in the "all in the details" it's kind of a nice finishing touch.

Another thing to look at would maybe be to crop in pretty heavily. This will eliminate your knees.

The baby and the expression is wonderful. Nice work and Happy Mother's Day!

B Dad

Shan said...

I don't know much about the technical stuff, but I do know that is one cute baby:)

AJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AJ said...

I'm so sorry about that delete! I had a wrong link in there. Ugh!!!

I think it's very creative and I love the sooc shot :). The side lighting and that tiny peek of smile :). If I were to crop it'd be right at your hemline. I know that would crop her head on the other side, too, but it'd focus right on her little eyes. Then a tiny bump in curves and done.

Here are a couple of edits:
Color:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/NanasMama/colieandmomedit.jpg

b/w:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/NanasMama/colieandmomeditbw.jpg

Very neat shot!
AJ

Unknown said...

What a sweet baby! I love it! I am not good at editing so I can only tell you how adorable your baby is.

Mommy Project said...

Thank you all so much for taking the time to view and comment on my photo. An extra huge thank-you to those of you who actually worked on my photo yourselves or provided links to more helpful information!! So great of you!!!
:-D

Unknown said...

Cute photo.

Mr. Tharpey said...

glad you enjoyed the photo!