Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Family Fun Night: Fail

Oh dear...

Well, yes, it's Tuesday. Family Fun Night linky is supposed to be up on Monday, isn't it? My post was supposed to be up on Monday, wasn't it? Not only that...but it's only week 2!! I know. I suck. I'm sorry. But, in my defense {here come the excuses, so please just skip past the next paragraph if you don't want to hear them}...

Maddie got invited to get off the bus at one of her school friend's houses on Friday after school. When she asked me if she could go I said, "But, but, it's Family Fun Night". She said she knew, but that she really wanted to go to her friend's house because ~that~ was going to be really, really, fun, too. What could I do? So, yep, FFN got cancelled in its second week. This does not bode well, at all. The best laid plans...and all of that. But, I have learned an important Mommy lesson (more on that later).



So, we didn't really have a FFN, but we did still have Kidtastic Saturday!! This was Maddie and Jamie's "Jammie Movie Afternoon" as inspired by The Fairy Blogmother (who likes to get together with a few of her buds for a movie at her house...in jammies...once a month). Their first guests, in fact, were the Blogmother's own two sweet kiddos...The Abster and My-Pie.

The girls sent out invitations almost 2 whole weeks prior. They wanted to be sure their friends would be able to make it! We set the time to be from 1-4 pm. I thought this would give them some time to get here, get settled in, chit-chat, then start watching the movie...have some snacks...and then when the movie was over they could just hang out in the newly spruced up (i.e. "cleaned") toy-room for a bit.

Well, everyone was so excited to get right down to the movie! We rented "High School Musical" which my two girls just LOVE. I mean, we have to listen to the soundtrack to this movie in our truck every time we go anywhere, now. It has gotten so that I am singing along with the songs, too, and I know all the words!

So, we got all the kiddos some popcorn and some flavoured waters, dimmed the lights, and started the show....

just about then there was a knock at the door. A little friend from down the street made a pop-in so, I couldn't be a meany, and I invited her in to join the party. Yep, I broke the rule of "1 guest per kid" on week one! So, now I had 6 little girls in the house to take care of. Ah well, no biggie...they'll just all play downstairs together, I thought. Uhhh....no....

The new guest was on the younger-side and she preferred to come upstairs to explore our house and play with the baby toys and wander around. We were trying to get the baby down for her nap, so we kept herding her back down to play with the other girls. Then, the movie was over (I think! I mean, that was fast!!) and they were all heading out the door! We tried to get them to stay in the toy-room, but it was too nice a day outside so that was that! The rest of the party took place out on the front lawn...with me holding a tired and getting cranky baby while trying to make sure none of the little kids got hurt, everyone was sharing and getting turns with the various toys, everyone was staying off the neighbours lawn and well away from the road, no one was riding bikes without helmets, no screaming...all that kind of stuff that makes you want to go kiss your kids' teacher's feet (How do they do it? Gawd love 'em).



So, Kidtastic Saturday didn't go quite how I had imagine, either...but the kids had fun. And, of course, that is the point of all of it and all I really wanted. Ya' gotta go with the flow as a Mommy of three little girls...so that's what I'm going to keep on doing. We'll always do something fun with the girls, every week, but that may be a Kidtastic Saturday, or a Family Fun Friday, or whatever else we can manage. We'll just have to see!

2 comments:

Shan said...

The girls had a fantastic time. Thanks so much for having them over. I think that's a big thing, learning to go with the flow. Sometimes it's easier to do than others.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

Love the pics!!