Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Better Butter Chicken.


You know how I don't like to bother sharing a recipe unless it's really, really, good - right? Well, get out your pens and paper people...this one is a keeper.

Thanks to those wacky Canadian gals over at Eat, Shrink, and Be Merry (I can't just say that, I have to sing it...but you won't know what the heck I'm talking about unless you've seen their show. That's okay. Never mind. Anyway!)...I am bringing you this super yummy recipe for Better Butter Chicken!
"Why is it 'Better'", you ask? Well, as Janet and Greta explain, "It's the star of India! A real jewel. A gem of a recipe. Our healthier rendition of this popular ethnic dish doesn't use gobs of butter and tons of heavy cream, so you can save those precious calories for dessert". But, I say, "Dessert?! Who has room for dessert after you've stuffed yourself with this? It is Sooooo good!"

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp grated ginger root
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 1 whole cooked rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat cut up (big-ish bite sized chunks)
  • 1/3 cup light cream
  • 1/4 cup light sour cream or plain yogurt
  • 1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro

  • Hot, cooked basmati rice.

Directions

  1. Melt butter in a deep, 10- inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook slowly, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add ginger root, chili powder, turmeric, and cinnamon. Cook 1 more minute. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

  2. Add cut-up chicken, cream, and sour cream. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Serve over hot basmati rice.

Makes 5 servings.

Per serving: 293 cal, 11.4 g total fat, 5 g sat. fat, 33 g protein, 15 g carbs, 2.9 g fiber, 105 mg cholesterol, 483 mg sodium.

Verdicts: Well, you already know I love, love, loved it! Dave also thought it was really, really, good and despite my giving him a HUGE plateful (at which point I said, "Oh, I really gave you a ton there. Don't feel like you have to eat it all"), he DID eat it all. And the girls? Two thumbs up from both of them...and I really love that they are enjoying foods with flavour and not just sticking to bland, blah, stuff. Good for them! :0)

For more ideas on what the heck you can cook for dinner...please check out the Fairy BlogMother's blog and the home of What's Cooking Wednesday!!

p.s. You can see from my picture that I didn't add cilantro. Well, Fortinos didn't have any. :-P Too bad, because I really LOVE cilantro (as does my bun, bun). Just imagine how good it would have been if I had some of that on top, too! :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I *love* Indian food, and this is such a nice quick way to enjoy it!

Jen said...

You have NO idea how excited I am to have this recipe. I ate butter chicken for the first time in Toronto this summer and loved it, but was scared of it, if you know what I mean... I'll have to get your cookbook - it sounds wonderful. Thanks SO much for posting this!

Mommy Project said...

Thanks City Girl and Jen of a2eatwrite! :)
I'm telling you...it tasted so much better than my picture looks. And, it's great that it's a healthier version. We'll be eating this a LOT.

Shan said...

Mmmmm love butter chicken. I'll have to give this one a try.