Wednesday, July 30, 2008

CrockPot Indian Curry.


I'm so proud of myself: I used my crock pot again! And, I have A Year of Crockpotting to thank for that. This lady, Stephanie, made herself a resolution to use her crock pot everyday for the entire year - and she has actually stuck to it! That is amazing, I say. I'm sure my efforts would have fizzled out somewhere around day 3. I should also thank Shan at Tales from the Fairy Blogmother for letting me know about this ultra-cool blog through one of her Spreading some Linky Love posts. So, if you have a crock pot down in your laundry room collecting dust (like mine was) then be sure to check out this blog and get inspired (btw...Stephanie is famous now, too, and has appeared on Rachel Ray's t.v. show. I didn't see it, but maybe you've caught her on there already).

I decided to make the CrockPot Indian Curry (I'm a sucker for anything with the words "Indian" or "Curry" in it) and since the recipe was taken right off her blog, and I really, really, think you should go check it out...just follow THIS link for the ingredients list and recipe details. {cool. that saved me some typing}.

Now, you'll notice that she said she only used 4 to 6 chicken thighs and this dinner served her family, some guests, and she had enough for left-overs. This I had to wonder about. Was it a typo? Did she mean she used 4-6 chicken legs instead of thighs? Nope. They just don't eat very much meat and she told me that 1/2 to 1 chicken thigh each was enough for each of them. [insert shocked face here]. Not in this house. I don't know about you folks...but Dave could definitely eat 6 chicken thighs by himself - easy. I gave him 4 (as you can see in the photo) and I gave the girls 1 each and I just stuck to eating the veggies and beans. There was still tons of room in the crock pot though so, personally, I would suggest throwing in a whole whack more of the thighs. There are leftovers - but none of it has any meat in it (so Dave won't be eating any of the leftovers).

Also, did you know that garbanzo beans are also known as chickpeas? I think I knew that, but I wrote the recipe down as is and Dave came home empty handed on that front. He could not find "garbanzo" beans in our Canadian grocery store. I had a foggy notion that they may be a.k.a. chickpeas so I did a google search "garbanzo beans also known as" and found out that, yep, they're chickpeas. Too bad, too, because I like chickpeas but I didn't have any in the cupboard. I did have white kidney beans, so I threw those in instead. They were good - but I'm not sure a pregnant girl whose digestive system has already slowed to a turtle's pace really needs to consume a lotta' beans. TMI? sorry.

Anyway, the girls both gave it 10 fingers and 10 toes up and Dave said it was "good" about three times as he polished off his plate and cleaned-up the girls' left-overs, too (Maddie liked everything but the meat...I think she is going to become veggie). I loved the sauce and you just can't go wrong when you shove some sweet potato in anything, but I was feeling completely exhausted by this point in the day and was too tired to really enjoy it. I asked if I could just go lay down on the couch for awhile mid-way through dinner. I think I'll enjoy the leftovers for lunch today.

Thank-you CrockPot Lady.

1 comment:

Stephanie ODea said...

yay, Norma-Ann! I'm sorry about how weird we are with meat----we just don't eat that much!
you are right though, this makes a whole mess of sauce. I ate the sauce for a few days ontop of rice or quinoa; so very yummy.
I'm so happy that your family liked this so much!

xox
steph